Friday, June 21, 2013

Voluspo: Stanzas 1 and 2

The first set of the translated Voluspa is from Henry Adams Bellows in 1936 from Icelandic. Al I can seem to find on a Mr. Bellows is that he was a Vermont-born New Hampshire lawyer, state legislator and jurist that lived from 1803-1873. His translation:

1. Hearing I ask  from the holy races,
From  Heimdall's sons,  both high and low;  
Thou wilt, Valfather,  that well I relate
Old tales I remember  of men long ago.

2. I remember yet  the giants of yore
Who gave me bread  in the days gone by;
Nine worlds I knew,  the nine in the tree
With mighty roots  beneath the mold.


The second translation is from Lee M. Hollander, an American scholar of Norse literature and mythology. he was a long-term faculty member and head of the Department of Germanic Studies at the University of Texas in Austin. Professor Holland lived from 1880 to 1972. His translation:


Hear me, all ye hallowed beings
Both high and low of Heimdall's children;
Thou wilt Valfather, that I well set forth
The fates of the world which I first recall

I call to mind the kin of etins
which long ago did give me life.
Nine worlds I know, the nine abodes
Of the glorious world-tree the ground beneath


 

No comments: